8/30/2004

Because

This is my thin skin, and it has no defensive properties. Sunday night, and the family has gathered. My cousin and wife make the announcement - they are expecting. I feel a jolt of joy, of absolute bliss for them. They are a happy partnership of two extroverts; they will be blessed with a child next spring. They say: "It's early, we're only 6 weeks along. Most people don't know they are pregnant at this point..." And finally the hurt is revealed. I shudder. I hold back all the words froth up to my mouth. I smile. I nod. I say: "Before we come out next year, let me know what you still need and we can throw it in the van for you." And I think to myself, how normal we are being. How generous. How calm. Deep breaths. And then someone says it: "Aren't you having more?" And I want to scream, no damn you no and why do you even ask? And my skin falls off my body and I stand there, with all my blood and my anger and my being spilled on the floor. And I say "Bear is happy as an only child." And within moments, my little lie, my little harmless lie that smooths it all over like butter on bread is melted away. The conversation drags slowly, agonizingly, on about babies and growing families and heaven only knows what... And Bear purses his cupid bow mouth and asks "Where is my brother? I need a brother." And I kneel. And I hold him. And I die inside.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I nod.

I purse my lips and smile grimly.

I take a swig of coffee to swallow down the ache.

And I understand every last word of this post, and feel it somewhere in the little tendons of my feet.

I have no platitudes here, baby. I just understand. You're not alone, and that's all the crummy support I can offer.

//Helen

1:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand, too. As a dad. We wanted more, also. I am so terribly, hugely sorry for you.

-RP
randompensees.mu.nu

3:15 AM  
Blogger Debra@Peaceabull said...

I always say I got the best one possible, so why mess with perfection? Why can't others just let it be?

9:13 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I've tried that one.

Actually, a part of me thinks it is true. How could there be any more now that there is Bear?

Thanks.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Thanks Cathy -

As you can see, I talk your sage advice.

No one talks much in my family, anyway.

;)

5:09 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

Wow. This was heartbreakingly beautiful.

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having just stumbled upon your blog, I was reading some back posts. This one crushed my heart! I have one perfect 13 yr old son. I couldn't ask for a more beautiful, loving and caring child, but I, on occasion, lay in bed at night and silently cry my eyes out because I won't ever get the chance to have another.

The reasons are of my own making but watching the birth of nephews and nieces and reveling in my work as a doula, the birth of each baby stabs at my heart anew.

People who comment or question the reasons for not having more or having any, are my undoing. Even after 13 years, relatives still ask, "So, when are you going to have more babies?" My mother asks, "Why did you [do what you did] and limit yourself to one child?" The 19 yr old mom of two beautiful baby girls that I am trying to mentor says "I'd give ya mine but then they'd cut my welfare." (Millions of people would kill for a healthy blonde, blue-eyed baby and this one wants to give them away because they intrude on her private time. Those are the days I would like to kick her teen-aged *ss.)

So, now that I have spewed all over your poignant post and infected your eloquent writing with MY anger and frustration, know that you are not alone. If I could reach you physically, I would hug you and cry with you and scream my frustrations with you. I need to give my son a hug now.

Amy

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home