6/15/2004

Dawson's Creek and Tomato Sandwiches

The afternoon plan was this: 1) pick up kidlet and babysitter 2) Stop at Town Hall and get permission slip for garage sale on Saturday 3) arrive home 4) make self a tomato sandwich (lightly buttered toast, fresh tomato slices, salt, pepper, and maybe some herbs or cheese crumbles if handy) and sweet tea (half herbal iced tea, half lemonade) and catch 30 minutes of my current guilty pleasure - Dawson's Creek reruns. Then work myself silly for 5 hours. Instead: 1) picked up kidlet and babysitter 2) dropped them off at one of the town's water parks with $1 for an ice cream 3) raced to where I thought Town Hall was 4) looked around some more for Town Hall 5) called 411 and asked for directions for Town Hall 5) found Town Hall 6) circled Town Hall. and again. finally found parking. 6) begged for a garage sale permit, despite less than 7 days notice. Was chided. Complimented clerk on picture of baby granddaughter. Got permit. Cheered for self while driving back to water park 7) answered phone at intersection before water park And here the wagon REALLY fell off its wheels Me: J! You were supposed to call me this morning J (Who is a vendor rep): Your boss decided I needed to be in Las Vegas Me: You're in Las Vegas? J: Yes. Me: So you're probably going to miss our meeting in Chicago tomorrow J: Yes. Me: So the program manager you were going to assign to assist me - will he be making the trip? J: Actually.... Me: Not so much? J: He's left my company. It was a mutual decision. Me: I'm not feeling like I'm deep in the loop here J. What about the guy's boss, John - will John be making the trip? At least John is up to speed and can cover. J: Actually.... Me: Not so much with him either? J, Do we have a problem? (full of righteous indignation now...) This is unprofessional to say the least. And out of the corner of my eye I see that kidlet and babysitter - both wet - are approaching the van. At the same time J decides to conference in "Gerhart" - a Swedish PM he thinks might be helpful to our cause. At the very moment I hear J and Gerhart come on the line I hear... "MOMMMMMMMMY! Where's my lollipop? I don't want to go home!!! I want to stay and play!!!!! MommmY!" and then PUSH the "mute" button.. yes...toooo flipping late. J: Elizabeth? Are you there? Gerhart: I need to change phones, I'm hearing a lot of noise in the background... Sometimes, I HATE working from home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home