6/24/2004

Golfer: "How do you like my game?" Caddy: "Very good ma'm, but personally, I prefer golf."

I keep going back and forth about this whole golf thing. On the one hand, golf really is a secret language in Corporate America. And it IS a sport that I can play the rest of my life - and share with my family. On the other hand, can weeble-shaped adults actually learn to play the game? 'Cuz my breasts get in the way of my swing and the rest of me gets in the way of any hope of being GOOD at it. And the money and time this hobby is going to demand just makes me cringe. But I already let the cat out of the bag saying that I'm going to try... now I'm "in the club". Tonight, as I was prepping for the big meeting tomorrow, the vendor called to say he was in town: J: I'm in the rental car, almost to the Marriot Me: Which Marriot? J: Schaumburg Me: Which one in Schaumburg? J: Oh, don't ask me that. Me: I'm sure you'll be fine. Are we getting together tonight? J: If you want. What about the driving range? Me: Are you kidding? J: No. Me: It's... like what time at night? J: We'll hit some and then go over the presentation Me: At the DRIVING RANGE? J: Aren't you working on your handicap? Me: No. I'm working on GETTING a handicap. Maybe even buying some clubs. But not tonight. J: OK, when I'm back in August. After my golf clinic in Hilton Head next month. Me: Oh, sure - that will be great... Seriously, I work with freaks. I should have mommy-tracked myself, should have taken some low-profile gig, should have never gained that 60 pounds after the kidlet was born, should have said YES! any one of the million times that almost EVERY PERSON IN MY FAMILY said "wanna play a round with us?" over the last 25 years, should have ... should have.... Oh, who am I kidding? The guys at the driving range better make room for this rubenesque woman with the rented clubs and magenta hair. Clearly, I am not giving up yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home