7/28/2004

The Barack Brigade (Or, excuse me, pardon me, I'm just trying to find a seat on the bandwagon)

My mom was with us at Memorial Day when we traveled to a parade in Elmhurst, IL (because we're parade connoisseurs). There was a contingent of Obama supporters (the "Barack Brigade") who were loud and noisy despite Obama's then rival, Ryan, being there in person. My mom leaned over, as Ryan was shaking all our hands (which was kind of a waste, considering  I am the only registered Illinois voter of the bunch) and whispered: Does Obama have a chance? I whispered back: I hope so. I'll be watching the DNC tonight. Although, it my humble opinion, we saw the future last night.   It's that fundamental belief — I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper — that makes this country work. It's what allows us to pursue our individual dreams, yet still come together as a single American family. "E pluribus unum." Out of many, one. :sniff: For the last 6 months, this man has been wearing his heart on his sleeve and shining the beacon of his intellect on every gathering that would have him. Run-down Elk Halls with 25 senior citizens? He was there. Children's Museum with 100 kids running around? Yep, there too.  It was a savvy approach, and all the more successful because this guy really believes what he's saying and may just have the energy and intelligence to do something about it. This is what has inspired so many of us Illinoisians to pull for him so hard. Last night, he showed the polish all the past 6 months has brought him: our man was flawless. Completely sincere. Believeable. And the speech! (I don't CARE who wrote it, so don't start with my flag-waving self, OK?).... Fuggedaboutit.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kalisa said...

yeah, NPR and all the national media appears to agree with you. He seems to be the "future of the Democratic Party." Personally, I thought his speech last night was amazing.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I had to watch it on broadband, my scheduled viewing was interrupted by a cranky toddler and crankier husband. Lovely hot summer nights, they have everyone grumpy.

Goof that I am, I forgot I have TiVO. Duh.

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home