7/25/2004

It's beautiful day...

I've been trying to get this picture for 20 years. Sears Tower, looking straight up from Wacker drive on our way back from the beach. And how did I fianlly do it? I just rested the camera on the dashboard and pressed the button as we drove past (and no, I wasn't driving.)   Copyright: Elizabeth (07/25/2004) Have I mentioned that we live in the Chicago area? We do. I moved into the city to go back to school about 15 years ago (Loyola, if you're wondering. Ad Majorem, baby!) I stayed in the city, eventually stumbling onto and loving an area called Roscoe Village. I lived in the same apartment building for about 7 years. Then Bear came along, and well... yeah. We sold out. But on a beautiful day like today, the car naturally took us into the city (a very short drive). Found some street parking, got a cup of joe from an independent coffee house (remember those?). Then we hit a park on the beach, frolicked in the water and helped Bear enjoy the slides at the playground. We finished with lunch at a cafe by the "El" train.  Bear began drooping by then, so we headed home. Why did we leave the city? This I asked my husband, stretching out in the car. 10 seconds later we slammed into bumper to bumper standstill traffic.  All he did was turn to me and raise an eyebrow. Oh, I hate it when he's smug. LIke a cabbie with a big tip on the line, he turned into the city's business section - which was, of course, deserted. My brilliant husband. Hard to believe he grew up in a place where a herd of horses crossing the road was considered a traffic jam.   Copyright: Elizabeth (07/25/2004) So, this is Wacker Drive. A split road that stretches on two levels like a snake through downtown. This level has cool reflections of the sun from all the glass highrise buildings. The lower level has the distinction of a starring role in a Blues Brothers movie. On a weekday, both levels are complete mayhem - cars, cabs, pedestrians. On a Sunday? It's a flipping ghost town. We were able to cross its full length from one end to its terminus near Sears Tower in about 3 minutes. Even with some red lights. That's like a landspeed record. Also? A little spooky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home