7/29/2004

Follow the bouncing brain: The guy on the bicycle, the chicken kiev, and a clock from Aldi's

This morning, I was in the middle of my weekly smackdown from the grumpy VP when my doorbell rang. Luckily, someone else was on the hot seat for a moment so I ran and answered it. It was an older gentleman, his bicycle resting in my driveway. He was looking for Rev, my neighbor. Rev's in Michigan most of the time in the summer, so I couldn't help the guy. Him: I really need to talk to Rev.  He knows a lawyer that can help me. Me: I don't have a number for him. Maybe you could stop by Rev's church - where he used to be the pastor? He still helps out there. So I gave him directions, which he wrote down on the back of one of those dark yellow government envelopes. Then I shut the door. And locked it. An hour later my doorbell rang, again. It was the gentleman, again. He said: I rode my bike up and down that road. There's two churches - one is a Baptist, and the other is United Church of Christ. But you said Lutheran. So I got a phone book. There's no Lutheran church on that street. I ran to the van, where I keep a copy of the phone book (the maps, don't you know - and the coupons). I fumbled the pages, acutely aware that I was dressed in flannel softy pants with a rip in the fanny and a pink izod with insufficient foundation apparel. That I hadn't had a chance to do more than brush my teeth. I realized he was right - I had no idea where or what Rev's church was. That made me feel foolish, on top of feeling uncomfortable and jumpy to get back to my work. But this gentleman in three layers of clothes, complete with a lumberjack shirt, was looking to me to help. I sighed. I said: Rev's son comes by about twice a week. You can leave a note for him, he'll know how to contact his dad. Do you know the son's name? No. But I can get you paper to leave a note. So I fetched him paper, and an envelope. Then I wished him luck and locked the door and went back to my office. A little while later, coming out of the bathroom, I caught sight of the retro Timex alarm clock we bought last week at Aldi's. Corporate Daddy and I love Aldi's. We love a bargain, love knowing we saved money on something we needed. I smiled when I looked at the clock. It's a really cool clock and we got it for about $15.  Then I remembered that we also got boneless, skinless chicken breasts at Aldi's and maybe I should make some Chicken Kiev this week. Chicken Kiev is one of my family's favorite meals. When I was growing up, my mom made it for special occasions. She served it over FarEast rice pilaf, and everyone always loved it. It was a "big deal" meal, for guests. I stood there, in the doorway to our bedroom, looking at that cool clock. Remembering the effort my mom would go through, for people she wouldn't hardly know, on a meal she didn't hardly like. How she made a gentle fuss, the kind that made you feel warm inside. That's who my mom is to everyone she meets - nice. Both she and my dad are the types to treat a waiter at a restaurant the same as they would the owner.  And you know? I once thought I was a little like that.  With horror, I suddenly realized what I hadn't done and who I hadn't been. I  ran to the front door and looked for the guy.  But both he and his bicycle were gone. And I sagged in overwhelming disappointment. With myself.  Oh. Damn.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kalisa said...

dude, where's the recipe for the Chicken Kiev?

I know that's not the point of the story...but it sounded tasty.

12:51 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Chicken Kiev? It's like the easiest thing.

Alton Brown has a pretty good recipe. Basically, you pound a chicken breast flat (best done under plastic wrap) and then roll it around butter, salt, papper, whatever herbs float your boat,secure it with toothpicks, and the dip teh whole thing in milk or whatever and then breadcrumbs. Then your fry it in a little oil until brown on outside and then bake it at 350 for about 20 more minutes. Enjoy.

OK, even for me - that's a LONG comment :)

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey....~soft smiles~...don't beat yourself up. You did what you could for gent-on-bike.
Had you found him, he mighta thought you were crazy what with offering him Chicken Kiev in your Mommy-Corporate outfit with pink-ripped-fanny-pants.
Just sayin'. *winks*

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too had a conversation with the next door neighbor's realtors in my pajamas yesterday. This is payback for working at home.

And you really, honestly did a lot to help the older gentleman, don't fault yourself, babe.

//Helen
http://everydaystranger.mu.nu

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home