8/10/2004

You can't beat town hall

This was the lovely view we had upon arriving at Town Hall tonight. We were there to make sure that we got the permit approved for next Saturday's block party. Please don't ask me how CD and me and the Guys got roped into planning this thing AGAIN. Suffice to say that we live on a fabulous block full of fabulous people - none of whom could plan their way out of a paper bag. But hell on wheels if you give them assignments to make 3-bean salads and buy Bingo supplies. So there we were, CD, Bear and me. Trudged up to the top floor, sat in the pews. Stood up, said the Prayer of Allegiance (what, like YOU never said "Amen" at the end of that thing?) and then had a moment of silence. After which, I shit you not, the mayor led us in PRAYER for people around town - someone was in hospital, someone died (they actually stopped and had a little conversation - was it the Father in Law or the Mother in Law that passed?) ok so we prayed for both. Good Holy Heaven. Did I mention, PEWS? Honest to God pews??? I LOVE me some small town politics. The difference between it and a Baptist council meeting? Absolutely nothing. Some guy stood up at the beginning. He was really pissed about an injustice. Told the Mayor he should be ashamed of himself for some graft and stuff. Seems that the council levied a whole bunch of fines on a guy who happens to be a opposition mayoral candidate in the next election. And then the council slandered him, or something like that. The guy yelled and waved his papers. The Mayor nodded and asked his secretary, "Is this old business or new?" "It's old business, from last week." "OK, then," said the mayor, allowing the guy to finish his rant. When the guy was done, the Mayor asked for a vote accepting the Old Business. And all the nice white men said; "Aye". The steam was pretty much curling out of my ears. Good to know I haven't lost my liberal Yankee outrage. I took Bear out to play with the water fountains in the hallway before I went Norma Rae on everyone's ass and screwing any chance of getting our permit.

After it was approved, the Aldermen all wrestled to have their picture taken with our adorable Bear (future voter!).

Smile. Smile.

Run.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just loved how you ended this post. I enjoyed the whole thing, but wow, you wrapped it up in a nice and sparkly ribbon.

And side note? Your comment yesterday? Fantastic. :)

//Helen (Everyday Stranger)
Other VP of M.A.S.

5:22 AM  
Blogger Kalisa said...

you can make even a city council meeting seem entertaining...

6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home